HEALTH & SAFETY OFFICER
Location: In Person Killarney Co. Kerry Ireland
Full time permanent position
What we offer
Here at O’Carroll Engineering we offer candidates the opportunity to work in an innovative, technologically advanced fabrication facility.
Work- life balance is important to us and that is why we have adopted to a 4.5 working day week.
We provide an environment that will challenge your abilities while offering a clear path to advance your role, skills and rate of pay.
Our objectives are centred on staff upskilling and training, and we encourage and provide a forum for workers to share their thoughts on how to enhance their own performance and work procedures.
The focus of the Health and Safety Officer is to ensure all health and safety regulations (legislative, best practice and internal) are adhered to and to maximise the safety, health and welfare of our employees, customers and visitors on our premises. The Health & Safety Officer must regularly review work practices, facilities, and employee practices to ensure employee safety, protect company assets, and act in the best interests of the company to safeguard its interests and the wellbeing of its employees.
The Health and Safety Officer will collaborate with OCE production and supervision team leaders and report to the Operations Manager to foster a safety-conscious environment. They must adhere to OCE policies and procedures, remain flexible, and build strong interpersonal and communication skills. They will collaborate with relevant colleagues, such as Facilities Management and HR, to effectively communicate matters.
- Act as a Safety Ambassador actively promoting safety, health and welfare in the workplace.
- Maintain current legislative changes, health and safety knowledge, and operational improvements within OCE by developing and reviewing Safety Statements, Risk Assessments, and other health and safety documentation.
- Reduce number of workplace incidents through active management. Monitor accidents, incidents and near-misses to carry out root-cause analysis and establish trends.
- Report any trends to senior management with a focus on corrective and preventative measures and act to eliminate any such trends.
- The importance of eliminating risks, conducting regular risk assessments, ensuring all colleagues are familiar with them, coordinating a risk assessment program, and raising concerns with facilities management to reduce injury or property damage.
- Develop a plan for ongoing improvements, using effective measurement tools.
- Highlight positive progress to promote importance of a healthy and safe work environment.
- Implement and oversee weekly health & safety workplace audits to incorporate PPE, work practices, equipment, machinery and facilities.
- Work with the HR Department on matters relating to training, behavioural concerns and the Health and Safety Authority.
- Collaborate with HR to identify training needs and upskill opportunities within the organization, and provide supportive guidance on health and safety matters to all colleagues.
- Carry out induction training with new employees as directed by the HR Department. Acting to promote the safety-first culture and inclusive work environment at OCE, and introducing all new employees to our way of work and key personnel within the workplace.
- Act as a point of contact for any Health and Safety Representatives who may be appointed.
- Develop and coordinate an Emergency Response Plan as suited specifically to OCE and act as the point of contact in the event of an emergency.
- Work with the Facilities team to ensure a safe work environment at all times.
- Promote and support initiatives to encourage a ‘safety-first’ workplace, e.g. deliver pro-active, informative, monthly toolbox talks on specific subjects.
- Collaborate with production supervisors to ensure all safety concerns are addressed without delay.
- Maintain and ensure all health and safety documentation is up-to-date in line with our ISO9001 and EN1090 certification, ensuring only ISO compliant documents are in circulation within the organisation.
- Any other such duties, as may be deemed necessary by the Company from time to time.
Objectives of the role:
- Develop a functioning health & safety auditing system.
- Develop, implement and oversee the Company’s accident reporting system.
- Establish metrics for reviewing safety levels at work.
- Develop a system for recording and storing meeting minutes for weekly safety meetings and toolbox talks within OCE, including relevant health & safety meetings.
- Improve training programs for internal training.
- Develop a system for delegating internal training, where possible.
- Develop a system for delegating health & safety tasks, where possible.
- Develop and define, in conjunction with the HR Department, the role of the Safety Representatives.
- Review and advise, regarding health & safety compliance for main contractors.
- Play a key role in health & safety for works completed, both on site and off site.
The ideal candidate:
- Thorough practical knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and OCE’s obligations in adherence to this legislation.
- Proven experience in implementing effective safety systems.
- Experience in a manufacturing, production, site or workshop environment.
- Analytical thinker and effective communicator with strong decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to communicate effectively and influence decision-makers.
- Efficient work-flow, time management, project management and reporting skills.
- Strong and effective professional relationship-builder with excellent commercial awareness,
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Flexibility to move between projects and an ability to multi-task and prioritise.
- This role is best suited to a high performing individual wishing to work with an innovative and progressive organisation; someone who wants to be part of a team going from strength to strength
This Job Specification is not exhaustive and is subject to change in line with business and operational requirements. I confirm that I have read and understand this job description for the role of Health & Safety Officer in its entirety, and am capable of performing all of the stated requirements.
Resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference the position you wish to apply for in the email title.
O’Carroll Engineering is an equal opportunities employer.