O’Carroll Engineering’s Values: A technology-driven, innovative fabrication organisation where employees and customers take pride in our work and operate in a climate of trust, respect and safety.
O’Carroll Engineering’s Mission: We specialise in feature stairs, modular balcony solutions, industrial access systems and walkways. We enable clients to manage their metalwork projects cost effectively, by merging digital site information with advanced fabrication methods to produce tailored off-site solutions, aligned to modern building techniques.
O’Carroll Engineering’s Vision: Position OCE as a leading ‘off-site fabrication solutions provider’ (specifically stairs & balconies) to modular/volumetric construction firms internationally.
Direction for this role:
Reporting to the Lead Engineer, the purpose of this role is to support the OCE growth plan by effectively engaging with the Research & Development, Estimating, Technical & Design, Production & Pre-Production departments. To achieve this, the Engineering Technician will:
- Support the Lead Engineer,
- Support the Research & Development and Estimating, Technical & Design functions,
- Collect data; gather & prepare project related content,
- Assist in planning, designing and developing projects,
- Design & build prototypes of planned projects,
- Testing of engineering concepts,
- Create & edit models on TEKLA Structures and/or other software,
- Maintain records & files,
- Ensure all processes undertaken are in line with EN1090 and ISO9001.
- Further the Lean Process, partake in Lean initiatives and ensure Lean principles are followed
Competencies of the Engineering Technician:
In order to effectively fulfil the requirements of this role, the Engineering Technician will possess the following competencies;
- Relevant engineering degree or similar qualification,
- Experience in the use of BIM software, e.g. Tekla Structures,
- Demonstrable proficiency in MS Office applications,
- Analytical thinker and effective communicator with decision-making and problem-solving skills,
- Efficient work-flow, time and project management skills,
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player,
- Excellent verbal and written communication skill with fluency in technical English,
- Flexibility to move between projects and ability to multi-task,
- Knowledge of construction & building regulations, a distinct advantage,
- Understanding of Modern Methods of Construction (MMC, Offsite, Modular), beneficial,
- Knowledge of architectural details, particularly facades, beneficial,
- Understanding of CE Marking (EN1090), ISO9001 and Lean Manufacturing, beneficial.
Opportunities within the role:
The Engineering Technician will be provided with support, direction, guidance, feedback and updates from the Lead Engineer to complete their role to the fullest of its potential in line with the direction of the organisation.
Such opportunities include the provision of a safe and dignified work environment with the opportunity to implement ideas for improvement and encourage collaboration amongst our colleagues. The role will also be supported by means of the provision of all necessary tools, equipment, Personal Protective Equipment and work processes. Our medium sized enterprise allows for progression within and across departments. Training and development is encouraged and the Engineering Technician will be supported in any relevant endeavours and CPD objectives.
Motivation of the incumbent:
This role is best suited to an ambitious, high performing individual wishing to work with an innovative and progressive organisation – someone who wants to be part of a team going from strength to strength. This person is motivated to achieve the highest standards in production and is provided with the appropriate feedback to do so.
This Job Specification is not exhaustive and is subject to change in line with business and operational requirements.